Network Engineering Specialist
Reporting to the Manager, Network Engineering, the Network Engineering Specialist maximizes service delivery by participating in design and implementation of Q9’s core customer and corporate network infrastructure.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining the production Q9 customer core, transport, corporate, and services networks.
- Collaborates with appropriate internal technical resources to ensure customer configuration designs/changes are viable and meet all technical requirements.
- Coordinates technical and administrative resources to ensure implementations are delivered accurately and on time.
- Contributes to research, evaluation and implementation of new hardware and software relating to the many Q9 networks and related services infrastructure.
- Interacts directly with vendors to investigate and understand new designs and to stay current with evolving trends.
- Works with peers and upstream transit providers to manage new and existing network connections.
- Develops technical documentation and training materials for Network Engineering-managed services as required.
- Works with Q9 Facilities staff and third party contractors to assist in the design and building of internal and external cable infrastructure, to ensure that path diversity and capacity is sufficient, and to provide ongoing support and maintenance.
- Participates in a variety of operational projects, exploring technical alternatives where appropriate to support the continuous improvement of Q9's services, and provides ongoing support to those projects.
- Participates in 7x24 on-call support structure for core network issues.
- Expert level understanding of TCP/IP (IPv4 and IPv6), routing protocols (BGP, IS-IS, OSPF), and MPLS.
- Expert level understanding of, and experience with, routed and switched network design, security, and monitoring.
- Expert level experience with physical layer troubleshooting.
- Experience with highly available network environments.
- Experience with hardware and software from major router and switch vendors.
- Experience with VoIP and wireless networks.
- Experience with optical cabling and communication systems (including DWDM).
- Experience with capacity planning.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively individually and in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment.
To apply for this position, please email your resume to jobs@Q9.com